Willis L. Hartman
Polo in Brackenridge Park
In 1920, the newly formed San Antonio Polo Club was allowed by the City to prepare a grass polo field at no cost. Competition between civilian and military teams filled the Brackenridge Park bleachers. A continuing national polo tradition began in San Antonio in 1930 when Cosimo Lucchese, local bootmaker who sold a line of polo boots, presented the Lucchese Cup to the winner of an annual tournament held in the park. The photo below archives this tradition for the winner of the 1950 tournament.
High-level polo talent at Brackenridge Park continued until the late 1980's. Members of families with rich polo tradition like the Gutierrez', Barry's, and Smith's would spend their Sundays playing polo in the fields at Brackenridge Park where First Tee is currently located.