The First Supervised Recreation Program in San Antonio offered free donkey rides for children in Brackenridge Park. The program began in 1916 when Parks Commissioner Ray Lambert secured a gift of twelve burros from the Rotary Club of San Antonio. The rides became the most popular attraction in Brackenridge Park and continued until the early 1940s. The stone corral was then used for storage until 1956, when it was enlarged and converted to offices for the Parks and Recreation Department. The building, still known as the "Donkey Barn," is now used by the San Antonio Zoo.