Broadway Corridor Phase IIIA - Miraflores Park
A Brackenridge Park treasure is receiving a facelift. Work is underway to complete the renovation of the entry towers and gates to Miraflores as part of the mitigation for the Broadway drainage project. The riverside site, now part of Brackenridge Park, is located adjacent to Hildebrand and the AT&T office property on Broadway. Dr. Aureliano Urrutia owned this site which was part of 15 acres from roughly 1925-1950. He created the contemplative garden as a reminder of his native Xochimilco, Mexico.
The City engaged Kim Wolf, Principal with RVK Architects, to develop a cultural landscape plan for Miraflores. According to the plan and the regulations of the Texas Historic Commission, the entry gate towers at Hildebrand have been straightened and reinforced, the lanterns restored, the stone repaired and cleaned, and the tile murals on the south side of the towers restored. Damaged and deteriorated ceramic tiles on the north side of the entry gate towers are being documented, removed, and new ceramic tiles, made in Mexico from the same region as the original tiles, are being installed. The stone wall and metal fence along Hildebrand have also been restored.
Renowned San Antonio stonemason Ray Smith from Krisch Construction is the contractor.
In addition, the Hollow Log Sculpture created by El Trabajo Rústico artist Dionicio Rodriguez for Dr. Urrutia, will be restored by his great-nephew Carlos Cortes.
Thanks to the San Antonio Conservation Society, the Palapa situated in the interior of the site has been repaired by Carlos Cortes.
The next phase will include the restoration of a walkway leading from Brackenridge Park into Miraflores.